Sunday, May 10, 2015

Fill 'er Up - Favorite Filler Activities - #ReflectiveTeacher Challenge

Week 1, #ReflectiveTeacher Challenge Your favorite filler activity

While some teachers say "Class dismissed," I shriek "Oh no!" The hour races by too quickly for me. But on the rare occasion I have tied up loose ends before the bell, I have a few quick tricks up my sleeve.


1) Line them up at the door. I do this by grabbing my old deck of "Blurt" cards and reading a definition to two students. The one who shouts out the word defined first, wins and gets to line up. I then move on to two more. The definitions are simple: appliance used for baking = oven; water from the eye = tears. Fun + wordy + easy = win.


2) Recite a poem! I know dozens of various lengths. Breaking into poetry is a way to remind students that poetry is a gift.


3) Play "Would you rather?" Would you rather read a story by Edgar Allan Poe or a poem by Emily Dickinson? Would you rather learn the meanings or the spellings of ten words? Would you rather find an allusion or onomatopoeia in a poem? Would you rather use pathos or logos to prove your point? This game can be used to reinforce learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment